Månsteri OSC Sender Plugin for Quartz Composer

I just finished an OSC plugin for Quartz Composer that allows the user to change the IP, port number and address space dynamically through the input ports.

The current version does not support sending QC Structures as multiple values, but I am looking into ways of implementing it. Please let me know, if you come up with a good solution.
Download the plugin and the soure code.

This plugin uses the VVOSC framework developed by mrRay.

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Månsteri OSC Sender Plugin for Quartz Composer”

1. .lov. says:

Hmm, structures is interesting. I think OSC specification doesn’t allow structured data types.

• Månsteri says:

No it doesn’t, but you could do something like the Floats option in the QC default OSC sender. It takes a structure as an input and converts it into a message with multiple values.

• .lov. says:

Aha, true. Take a look at the AppController inside the VVOSC source. You can create message with multiple messages 🙂

• Månsteri says:

Yeah, I’m doing that with with the Animata OSC plugin.

The problem is that I don’t know how to parse the structure and add it to the message so that it would support mixed data types.

• Månsteri says:

and wow. I really need to do something with my site’s CSS

• .lov. says:

hmm, maybe set up an enumerator for the input NSDictionary or NSArray, and get the objects class, and set up a message node with this.

• Månsteri says:

Thanks. I’ll try it.

I’m really just learning Objective-C, so half the time I have no idea what I’m doing. I just try out stuff and hope for the best.

2. .lov. says:

No problemo, i’m just learning ob-c too 😉

You maybe need something like this:

NSEnumerator *enumerator = [inputdictionary keyEnumerator];
    id each;
    while ((each = [enumerator nextObject])) {

if ([[each class] isEqualToString:@”NSString”) {
    //set up a string message
    }
    }

3. Some Kid says:

Does anyone know of a live link? So I can get this plugin also.

Please Help

4. Olle Soprani says:

Hi again!

How should i format the Månsteri OSC Sender data if i want to send a message to a layer named putto. As i understand i send what i want to address for example /layeralpha in Address Space but where do i put the layer name?
    And i i want to send a /layerpos can i do that without two float? Sinc i cant sen a structure.
    Will there be an configurable (ipnumber) of the Animata quartz plugs? Fantastic by the way.

Sorry for all the questions.

/olle
    SVT

• Månsteri says:

Hi Olle,

It’s not possible to send compatible messages to Animata with the OSC sender since it can’t mix different data types.

I’ll modify the Animata OSC plugins to have a configurable ip number. It’s really not a lot of work, but can’t make any promises when I have the time to do it since I’m buried in other stuff.

If you can’t wait and aren’t afraid of getting into Xcode, you can modify the plugin yourself. You should be able to do it by following what I have done with the OSC sender.

5. Olle Soprani says:

Hi

Thanks for your response, I am not a god x-coder, but will have a look at it tomorrow.
    It would be grate to have your plugs tough. But i will try it out. Am in need! 😉

/olle

6. stz says:

i’m new in quartz composer, and I would like to use the osc sender to control another program, but I have troubles when the osc is inside on a iterator for example. It doesn’t send any data out (although it seems to do it), it is normal?, why?? thanks a lot for your effort.

7. Christian says:

Hi,
    I’m trying to transform audio level input in Quartz composer into BPM to drive the speed of the clips in Resolume arena.
    May be it’s newbee understanding of your osc, but is it possible to export that from quartz?