I stumbled on the VVOSC framework yesterday and started messing around with it. It seemed really simple and I had a Cocoa application that sent OSC to Animata running in no time. So I decided to try to create a plugin for Quartz Composer that would allow me to send Animata compatible OSC messages. This wasn’t previously possible, because the default OSC sender in QC didn’t allow to send messages with mixed data types. The peeps over at vidvox forum have been trying to find a solution for some time now.
After a couple of hours and with some tips on compiling from vade, I had the plugin working!
I was really happy about that, because I really thought that writing plugins for Quartz Composer would be out of my skill range. It turned out to be pretty simple actually.
Download the plugin and the source code.
The available patches are:
- Animata Layer OSC – Sends messages controlling visibility, opacity, absolute position and relative position of Animata layers.
- Animata Joint OSC – Sends messages controlling the absolute position of Animata joints
- Animata Bone OSC – Sends messages controlling the length of Animata bones.
Hopefully with this plugin Animata and QC can go from “not working together at all” to “the easiest way to communicate with Animata”.
- Obviously Mac only, as it is a Quartz Composer plugin.
- Requires a recent build of Animata from the source to have all the messages working.
Click here to download Animata revision 47 that I just compiled today. Should work at least on Intel Macs running Leopard
Let me know if something isn’t working or if you have suggestions on how to improve the code.